Your Christmas holiday should be a relaxing break from your busy work life. However, you don’t want to return feeling even more stressed than you did when you left! Efficient planning will allow you to enjoy your holiday worry-free, so we have put together a few tips that we hope will help.
- Create an Out Of Office email message and outgoing voicemail: Seems an obvious one, but it’s great to let people know when you will be back. We don’t all go away for the same length of time.
- Be strategic with your schedule: Many people worry about catching up with their workload and being overwhelmed when they return. Try to avoid booking anything important to close to your first day back.
- Consider your backups: If your company has an on-premise backup solution rather than cloud, you may be responsible for taking the backup tapes offsite. In your absence, another employee must take over the role of looking after the backup tapes (or alternatively, use cloud backup).
- Turn off your devices: It goes without saying that your PC should be switched off while you are away, notably for longevity, power usage and security (unless you wish to leave it on for the purposes of a remote desktop connection while you are away). However, if you have a wireless keyboard and mouse, it is also advisable to turn off these devices to avoid flat batteries when you return from holiday.
- Trust your team: If you are in a leadership position, holiday is the perfect time to practice letting go and trusting your team or key individuals with more responsibility. The more you can do this, the easier each successive holiday will get.
- Make a checklist: In fact, you should make several, such as a ‘holiday/family planning checklist,’ an ‘essential to-do before departure,’ and finally, a checklist for what you know you will need to do the first day you return to work.
- Finally, enjoy your Christmas holiday! If you have followed this guide and made the appropriate preparations, there is nothing else to do other than enjoy your time away from work and relax.
Should you have any queries with setting up automatic email replies, if you have any other IT concerns, or require information about our DataSafe cloud backup service, please contact Vantage IT.
We wish you a very Happy Christmas and wonderful New Year.